Wednesday, July 27, 2011

When life hands you lemons you..

suck it up and move on.

A few weeks ago I posted about how we suffered a blow to Avery's therapy team here. She lost her OT she's had from the start, she maxed out of the therapy for our insurance and we lost the extra income that would have been helpful to pay for out of pocket therapy for the rest of the year.

I went to work ASAP and was able to find an interim therapy solution at Easters Seals for the time she had a break from the summer to fall session of school. So far so good. She seems to not have skipped a beat with the therapists much to my surprise. She has attended to activities with the therapist and even told her "all done" when done swinging which is huge. So for an interim band aid it seems to be working.

I want to get her on the waiting list for the therapy place I go to for my physical therapy for my foot. 
While at therapy today I saw the PT who worked with my oldest for about a year while she was in our states Early Intervention program. She also worked with Avery for a short time from 5-9 months ( i think I'm fuzzy about that time period).  She really adored our girls and they were great with her.

When I talked to her today she was really shocked to know that Avery has Autism. She kept saying, "but she gave me good eye contact", "she wasn't withdrawn", etc. I mean I am not sure how much she could have been clued into with her at that age because she really didn't start to show major signs until she was about 2 and the sensory issues didn't explode until she was in therapy. I mean there were small things to start with but nothing big during the first year. It's all the developmental milestone's in the second year that she didn't hit.

I saw a few issues the first year but did anyone see the big issues the first year?

Like when I told the DR who delivered her that she has Autism I kinda of felt bad telling her about Avery's situation. It's not like she did it to her or she could have noticed anything to cut it off at the pass. I mean it is what it is. She has Autism. In the grand scheme of things she's lucky. No physical health issues, she's not in a wheelchair, she doesn't have seizures. When she starts school again in a few weeks she'll be getting more services, more attention and God willing things will blossom for her.

I'm trying to keep things in perspective these days. No matter how I think our life sucks, I'm pretty sure someone else has it worse off and is envious or wistful of the life we have. I don't mean that in a cocky way either. When I have a moment and I talk to my BF and we are both having a bad day, and we both go "I wonder what it would be like to have "normal" kids" you know a life that does not revolve around a therapy schedule we remind ourselves of these things.  I'm just counting my blessings. Which is something I sometimes forget to do and need to do more of.

No comments:

Post a Comment