Sunday, April 3, 2011

Autism Awareness Month

Today is the start of Autism Awareness Month. Today also is the start of Light it up Blue for today and tomorrow. If you look at that list there are so many prominent famous buildings or statues around the world that will be lit up in Blue. One that stands out that's not on that list officially, The White House. Jess over at Diary of a Mom wrote a wonderful letter to the president in hopes that the White House is lit up in Blue tonight and I pray that it is. She knows the letter has reached the president's people whether or not it makes a difference we won't know til later tonight.

A year ago I would have acknowledged Autism Awareness Month. Would have I searched store to store for blue light bulbs? Probably not. (FYI - Finally found some at Walmart!) Today I live with Autism every day. Every day I think about how our lives are different now, how our future is not certain but our spirit isn't diminished. I have a little girl who is learning to roll her arms to Wheels on the Bus, and going Wah Wah Wah when the baby cries on the bus. I have a little girl who learned to spray herself in the face with a spray bottle at therapy and giggled her little heart out. I have a little girl who still loves to cuddle with her Mommy before bed time. Though that little girl has Autism she will always be my little girl.

You can make a difference today. In honor of Autism Awareness Month I am asking for you to make a donation to Team Avery - Don't Stop Believing today. It takes a couple of minutes and you can donate any amount you like. Every day, every dollar is a step closer to helping 1 in 110 children, 1 in 70 boys and 1 in 88 military children get the help that they need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment